The winter weather has arrived and it is colder than ever. If your gas furnace isn’t working properly you will definitely freeze. You have 2 choices; you can call in an expert or you can attempt a DIY. There are many sites online that try to convince people to repair their own furnaces. Unless you are a fairly handy person this is something that you shouldn’t do. Gas furnaces are designed to be repaired by professionals and for good reason: they run on highly flammable gas. Just one mistake and you may blow yourself and your house to pieces. Here are several reasons why hiring a professional is the best thing you can do for your furnace and your home.
- You don’t have the necessary repair tools. The reason why you are thinking about fixing your furnace yourself is to save money. It is therefore unlikely that you will go to the store and buy a bunch of tools. You are more likely to improvise with tools that are already in the home. These may end up doing more damage to the furnace which means that you have to pay more to get it fixed in the end.
- You don’t have the necessary training to do furnace repair. Think of it this way: if the brakes in your car were lose would you attempt to fix them yourself? Obviously not – you want someone who knows what they are doing. Attempting to repair your furnace is the same thing as attempting to repair your brakes – you may think you got the job done but you can never really be sure.
- You will incur long term losses. Without any knowledge of furnaces it is unlikely that you will repair it and maintain optimum efficiency. The leaks that you may cause (or fail to repair) result in loss of heat. In the longer term you pay more in gas bills because you need to use a lot of gas to keep the house warm. If you compare how much it would cost to bring in a furnace expert and how much you will pay for additional gas you will find that you save money by hiring a professional.
- One very important fact that most furnace DIY sites fail to point out is the fact that incorrect repairs can lead to carbon monoxide leaks into the property. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is colorless, odorless as well as tasteless. This means that there is no way to know there is a leak. It can kill you in just a short while. In case of taking such a risk why not just hire a professional and not have to worry about your family’s safety?
- When you repair your furnace yourself you don’t have a warranty to back up the job. If you hire a professional, however, they will give you a warranty for a certain period so that in case your furnace falls apart before that period is over you can have it fixed again for free.
As you can see, there is really no good reason to try and repair your gas furnace yourself. Call a professional instead and save yourself all the worry.